Saturday, August 31, 2013

How I Met Your Father (or When Geeks Fall In Love)

My baby brother recently started a blog called “How I Met Your Ex-Girlfriend” in which he's decided to chronicle his search for his future wife. It's not at all inspired by How I Met Your Mother title got me thinking about how I met the hubby.

Since the two of us are geeks, our “how we met” story falls a bit out of the norm. Instead of writing a gushy, tedious story of how I met my husband, I thought I'd break the story down into easier to digest, sometimes amusing, bullet points. So here goes, step by step, what I went through to meet my husband and the father of my child.
  • Go to college
  • Get bored and surf stupid sites on the internet and find a site where people rate photos based on “hotness” and post a pic just for grins.
  • Get a personal message from a hot, though kind of hippy looking, guy that appears to have excellent taste in music. 
  • IM with the hot guy regularly, discussing music and geeky things we like 
  • Become good internet friends with hot guy, but never consider dating because hot guy has a girlfriend 
  • Date a few guys but break up with them or get broken up with because they aren't “the one” 
  • After a couple years of being internet friends, decide to meet hot guy in person. Make him drive an hour to meet me in a Taco Bell parking lot (because I worked there and I figured if something was hinky and I needed help my male co-workers would come out and give a beatdown) and then drove another half hour to meet up with some of my friends to watch Hidalgo. 
  • Find out on the car ride to the movie that he's currently single and inwardly rejoice. 
  • Have such a good time that I let him come and visit me some more at my parents house, where he's subjected to the parental 20 questions. The next morning I'm treated to the “what if he were an ax murderer” lecture. 
  • A couple months later, invite him to come down and see the super awesome fireworks show that my parents' neighbor puts on every year the weekend before the 4th of July. 
  • On the 5th of July go to out to eat at a Mexican restaurant and see the Garfield movie with hot guy. Decide after the fact this is our first date, since that's when we held hands the 1st time. 
  • Get completely freaked out because I knew down in my gut that if I continued to date this guy, he'd be the last guy I'd ever date, and I wasn't sure if I was ready for the whole getting married thing. Also, I was afraid that dating would ruin our wonderful friendship, since over the last two years he became that best friend I could tell anything to. 
  • After a couple days get over the freakout because I realize that I can't picture the rest of my life without him in it. 
  • Get engaged the following October. 
  • Get married a year to the day after the first fireworks show I invited him to. 
  • Just over seven years later get knocked up and have an adorable baby girl 2 days before the hubby's 33rd birthday. 
And that's the short, hopefully slightly amusing, story of How I Met Your Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment