Monday, August 12, 2013

Why I Love Being a Geek/Nerd

I am a geek. And a nerd. If you go a Google search for information on what makes a person a geek, or a nerd, undoubtedly you will come across posts, articles, infographics, & funny pictures detailing the differences between geeks and nerds and the different types of geeks and nerds that there are out there. And, of course, the differences between geeks and nerds. Here are some examples.



It takes a bit more digging to uncover that it's not that cut & dried. Just as there are different types of geek/nerd, there can be different combinations of different types. Because life would be boring if you could only be a computer geek, or a sci-fi geek!

I am a mixture design geek, sci-fi geek, book geek, etc. I love to read. Real, physical books. I love watching sci-fi & fantasy TV shows & movies. I love certain, select anime. I love graphic design & photography, and can make a bit of a game of identifying fonts in advertising. And I'm full of useless tidbits of information. (e.g. Dr. Seuss invented the word nerd.)

Before I embraced my geekiness/nerdiness, I spent far too much time worrying about what other people thought of me. But doing some growing up made me realize, who cares what other people think? I am probably a little fatter, weirder, and obsessive than what society considers normal & attractive, and I DON'T CARE! I am happy in my little world surrounded by friends & family that love me, quirks and all.

Simon Pegg puts into words perfectly why it's great to be a geek.

No comments:

Post a Comment