Thursday, September 12, 2013

I am Pro Choice


I am a new mother. This fact has made me see so many things in the world in a new way. My own experiences with pregnancy and childbirth, coupled with the pregnancy and childbirth experiences that friends had during that time have made me realize something that never really crossed my mind before.

I am pro-choice. Now, this has absolutely nothing to do with the whole can-o-worms abortion debate. When I say I am pro-choice, I mean that I am 100% for letting women choose the type of prenatal and labor/delivery care that they want/need.

If you want to deliver your baby in the water with dolphins, I support that choice. If you want to deliver your baby in a hospital under the watchful eye of a medical team, I support that choice. If you want a happy medium between the crunchy-granola all-natural birth scenario and the more clinical hospital birth scenario and choose to give birth in a birthing center staffed by a nurse midwife with a backup doctor on call, I support that choice.

I believe that a pregnant woman has the right to choose a medical practitioner that is receptive to what the woman wants out of her pregnancy and childbirth. I believe that if a laboring mother wants no medication, some medication, or the whole shebang, it's her right to choose, without feeling pressured by ANYONE to go one way or another. I believe that should complicated circumstances arise that lead to less a less than ideal labor/delivery, that the only appropriate responses are joy for a successful delivery and grief for an unsuccessful one. I believe that no matter how a mother chooses to deliver her child, she shouldn't feel judged for the way she chose to do it.

One woman's choice in care may not work for her friend. There is no “one size fits all” when it comes to having a baby. Every birth and birth story is different. But my sincere wish is that, no matter the scenario, when all is said and done, every mother could say that overall they are satisfied with their experiences in prenatal and labor/delivery care and that their wishes were met to the best of their caregiver's ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment