Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Adventures in DIY

In my post-baby quest to live a more frugal, healthful life, I have become a bit of a Pinterest junky. I have pinned & tried several different DIY cleaning and household products. Some have been great successes (laundry detergent), others, miserable failures (dish soap).

I've made 2 different batches of laundry detergent, but the one I prefer is the one I made out of a bar of Ivory soap, 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup of OxiClean and a few drops of lavender essential oil. It gets clothes nice and clean with just a tablespoon of detergent per load, and I don't have to worry about using it on the baby's clothes. I put some vinegar in my Downy ball to clear any remaining soap residue off the clothes before I dry them, and they consistently end up nice, clean and soft.

The dish soap was a complete and utter disaster. The washing soda spilled out of the box and overflowed the measuring cup into the pan I was dissolving the bar soap in. The final product was a congealed, lumpy white mess that didn't foam at all, and left a weird white film on the dishes. We quickly returned to using Dawn!

I made a batch of homemade hair spray. It was SUPER simple to make, and incredibly cheap. All it took was 1 cup of hot water, 1.5 tablespoons of sugar and a few drops of essential oil for a pleasant scent. It completely filled my recently emptied hair spray bottle and only took about 5 minutes to make.

And it works AWESOME! The hold is just as good, if not a little better, than the store bought stuff I just finished using.

Other DIY projects I've tried are bug spray and homemade shampoo/conditioner. The DIY bug spray also seems to work well. The only problem I have is remembering to apply it! I don't know yet how the shampoo/conditioner work yet. I'm still finishing up the last little bit of old product. I am still debating on whether to make DIY deodorant and shaving cream...

No comments:

Post a Comment